Above, an old "Peterboro" door lock.
The town of Peterborough Ontario was established on the Otonabee River, which provided both water power and transportation for Ontario's burgeoning manufacturing sector. The Peterborough Lock Manufacturing Company was established there in 1885. (It was followed in 1890 by Edison Electric, later Canadian General Electric. Quaker Oats came along in 1900). In 1956, Corbin Lock purchased the company, joining it with the Belleville Hardware & Lock Company to form the International Hardware Company of Canada, Limited.
|Ottawa Citizen, November 16, 1942|