Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Stanley Hex-a-Matic

The Stanley Hex-a-Matic.  Everybody was trying to cash in on "a-matic" in the Sixties.

Note the nested collets, intended to grip different sizes of nuts or bolt heads:

  
It was clearly designed to compete with other similar tools like the Ideal Sock-o-Matic wrench featured in a previous blog entry.  Here's how Stanley advertised it back in the day:

I've had this tool for ages, and I don't think I've ever used it.  It's simply too ungainly, especially for smaller fastener sizes.  I usually just grab the standard nut-drivers, even though it means messing around to find the correct one.  (See Mister G's previous post on Spintite.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice and informative blog with all the information reading hardware queries. For best Hex bolt manufacturers Please visit our link once.

Anonymous said...

This is my go to tool when I need a hex driver. It is just too handy, works, and has never let me down. I have not used anything else for a typical nut-driver type job in the past 3 years after finding this tool used on ebay. I admit I have not tried to really break loose a stubbornly and badly rusted/corroded nut with it just b/c I did not want to risk breaking it. But I have loosened the typical stuck nuts with it.
The only disadvantage I see is if you have to fit the tip into a smaller place, it won't fit. Only then do I need to go get the normal nutdriver.

Most multi-function tools are a gimmick. I find this one to be legit and have had it making me wonder why I have a full set of regular nut drivers out where I can get to them easily on my french cleat storage system. I am thinking of putting the set away and using the space for some other tools I will use.

Anonymous said...

Most multi function tools are garbage. This is the exception. In a tight place the head will not fit, but that is the only drawback. THis is my go to. My Craftsman color coded set sits on the wall in it's holder and has been there now for a long time. I have not tried to loosed a heavily rusted nut, but I HAVE used this for some pretty good torquing without a problem. Definitely worth the eBay cost of 7.00 when I got it! Right up there with the Eifel plierench (caution...learning curve of 10 seconds for this one!).